VR HeadSet MKII
My original VR headset used the stereo realist lens format which resulted in a narrower field of view than Google cardboard is able to take advantage of. I got hold of a Virtual Reality Cardboard Toolkit from DODOcase which has wider lenses which can take advantage of the whole screen on my Droid Maxx. Its a great product and good value for the price considering the ease and speed of assembly compared to cutting up pizza boxes.
I wanted something that I could use hands free like my previous effort, so I used the same head mount as my previous headset and built a frame for the lenses using sheet styrene, balsa wood, super glue and gaff tape. You can by large sheets of styrene in places like home depot. Mine was originally intended to be a for sale sign. I copied the google cardboard plans online and assembled the whole thing with copious quantities of thick super glue and accelerator (see, all that model building comes in useful in the real world too). Then I painted the whole thing matte black. Finally I glued the lenses in with high strength multipurpose glue. Superglue is not kind to clear surfaces and can cause frosting.
I have taken this headset to half a dozen shows and meetups recently and inflicted SpacemTerror VR on random groups of people. Its a lot of fun to watch people learn to turn the game avatar with their bodies as they creep around the abandoned spaceship. Seeing them scream in terror is also quite fun! :-)